Monday, August 27, 2012

Monkey in the Middle- CVC game


I have been putting together games to help my kids with their letters and reading skills. I have mentioned that I have a son with Autism, so I am always trying to come up with new ideas to help him. Also my first grader and preschooler benefit from them too!

I just have to say that I was originally going to make little popsicle stick puppets with these monkeys, but my daughter had other ideas and wanted a number or letter game instead. So here is what I came up with!


CVC Game- MONKEY IN THE MIDDLE

Here is what you need. Monkey cards (explained below), banana cards, plastic letters, and of course candy!

I made these from using a 3 and 1/2 inch scallop punch and punching out yellow card stock. I then attached on 1 side vinyl vowel letters- a few of each letter. On the other side I put these cute felt monkeys that I picked up at JoAnn's in their felt area. (The package came with frogs too! I will be posting about that game later!)

I made these banana cards and laminated them for durability. I also had the thought that if laminated that you could write the consonants on and wipe them off. I like the magnetic, plastic letters, but just wish I had them in lower case. Anyway, the child chooses a monkey card that are monkey face up in a pile. He/she then flips it over to reveal the letter. Then places it in the "middle" of the bananas. Next they take the consonant letters and try to form a word.

If they are successful, they not only get to collect a pile of monkeys, but they get a little candy Runt too. (I would have bought all bananas, but couldn't find them in the stores I stopped at.)  My kids loved them anyway and are at this moment asking if they can play it again! You always know it's a winner if they are begging for more! Guess I got to go play!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Property of Renee Clark