Friday, September 21, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have a great recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I wanted to give you the back story about these cookies. If you want, skip to the recipe, make the cookies and then while you are eating a yummy warm cookie and a cold glass of milk come and join me for a little story. :)

So, I have always used the Toll House cookie recipe, and have been happy with it. But it was never like, "WOW! Those are some amazing cookies." Do you know what I mean? Anyway a couple of months ago my brother from college was visiting his super cute girlfriend and my mother and sister were invited to meet the family... (a whole other story :) Anyway, in the course of the evening the girlfriend's mother brought out some homemade chocolate chip cookies. I guess they were amazing! This woman went on to tell my sister that she uses the Toll House recipe, with some modifications and then began to rattle them off. Well, I use Toll House, so of course I had to have it! 

Here is the recipe as close to it as we could piece together and come up with. I have tried it a number of times making them small, jumbo size, refrigerated and not. They always turn out great- no matter what! Love those kind of recipes!


Chocolate Chip Cookies
 

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (no substitutions)
1 cup butter flavored crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 (3.4oz) Jello instant vanilla pudding mix (use the Jello brand)
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
4 & 1/2 cups flour
1 bag (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag (2 cups) milk chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 Mix all ingredients together in a large mixer (I have a Bosch). I start at the top of the ingredients and mix after adding the brown sugar. Then I add vanilla and pudding then mix again. Next I mix in the eggs. The baking soda, salt and flour I just add in, I know that most recipes say to mix the dry ingredients together and then add, but I have tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference. So I figure, why an extra step and dirty another bowl? But if you would like, this is where you would mix those together and add them to the mixer.  Next are the chocolate chips. I have had different result here. I have had the milk chocolate dissolve right in when mixing and then not. To be honest both ways are yummy. If your milk chocolate does dissolve, I have found the batter to be a bit more dry and then not flatten as much when cooked. Still delicious. I have also tried putting the batter in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. This also helps to make the cookies more puffy. It is really just a matter of preference. I like them both ways, so I am good with all of them. 
Lastly place the cookies on parchment paper on a cookie sheet for 9-10 minutes. (I love using parchment paper! It makes my cookies turn out GREAT! But if you don't have any, just put them on an ungreased cookie sheet instead.)
This recipe will make abouat 7 dozen regular size cookies. Or about 3 dozen jumbo size cookies. Again, yummy both ways!

Hope you enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Property of Renee Clark