Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pillowcase Tutorial

I am so excited to share with you that today I started taking a beginning quilting class! I will be honest that I wasn't sure how much I would even like the class even though quilting is something I have been wanting to dabble in for some time. I signed up last minute, and attended today's getting to know you and your machine class. The class was full of a bunch of women that I already knew from church and since I already know the basics of sewing I felt like this class would give me the boost of confidence in achieving a small project. Today on the agenda was piecing fabric by making an apron or pillowcase. Since I had to have my young daughter with me, I decided she could help me and get excited over the pillowcase.

First I have to say that I need to thank Gina Halladay for providing this class free of charge and sharing all of her wonderful experience with us. She is AMAZING!!! Here is a link to here quilting blog.

I am so glad I went because I learned a fun and easy way to sew a pillowcase. And now I get to look forward to our monthly meetings and projects!

Get 3 coordinating fabrics- the main piece (owl print) is 3/4 of a yard, the edge piece (pink polka dot) is 1/3 yard and the accent piece (green flowers) is 1/8 yard. The next step I did not get a picture of- sorry! It is to cut the green piece so that it is one long piece that is 3 inches wide. Then iron it in half so it is one long piece of 1 1/2 inches wide with wrong sides together. Hope that makes sense!

Lay down the edge piece first with right side up.

(Sorry about the camera strap!) Anyway, next lay down the main body piece right side up to match up to the pink edge piece. Then on top of that, do the same for the accent piece with the raw edge of the green flower lined up at the top.

Roll the large main piece like a burrito up to the green piece.

Then fold the pink bottom piece over the make a tube. Pin all the layers together and sew all the way down.

After sewing pull the insides out of the burrito.

It is amazing that it is almost all done at this point and that you can see the end product forming!

Here is want it looks like coming out of the burrito.

At this point you don't have to do this step, but I didn't want the green accent piece to curl up when washed, so I sewed it down with a straight stitch across.

Cut the edges  on both sides so they are even all the way down.

Here is the weird part. She called it the French way of sewing. Whatever it is, it is very cool for those of us who don't have a serger. Put the wrong sides together so it looks like a pillow and sew a 1/4 of an inch all the way down the open side and bottom.

Next flip it inside out and press the edges.

Now sew a 1/2 inch to 5/8ths inch down the same edge and bottom only. This leaves a nice clean edge in the inside of the pillowcase.

Iron it out and.....

You're all done! My daughter picked out the fabric and was so excited to have it done!

She also tried her hand at a little sewing. She was happy about that too!

We went straight home and put it on her pillow for bed!

Then I caught Amber playing sewing a little bit after. I hope she will love to sew someday. I have a lot of fond memories of my grandmother's house and sewing on her huge commercial machines. It makes me smile to think my daughter may make some of her own memories too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Property of Renee Clark