Monday, March 25, 2013

Easter Mini Pallet

 I had to make some of these when I saw this on Pinterest here. I love how they turned out, and most of all how easy they are to make!
I first went to Lowe's and found a pack of shims. I am not that versed in wood stuff, so I really didn't know what they were, but I was happy with the price of $5 for the package. I just wasn't sure how many I was going to be able to make.

When I opened the package there were enough pieces to make 3 full pallets (with 11 pieces each) and 9 extra. Some of the pieces were either discolored or very thin on the edges, so I would tell you that you can probably get 3 and a half pallets out of each package, just to be on the safe side.

The other problem I ran into was that the wood slats are slanted as you see in this picture. I will show you in a little bit how I experimented with them.

Next step was laying 2 slats down with the slants going the same direction. Then add some wood glue on top.

Next add the 9 pieces on top. Here is where I experimented a little. On 2 of the boards I laid the slats going the same direction according to the slant. On one board I laid them alternating. I decided I would give it a try. I would now recommend laying them all the same way just because of stenciling. If they are alternating, there is a lot more touching up that you have to do.

Here are the 3 boards glued. I let them dry overnight. You can see the one in front is alternating slats while the 2 in back are the same direction.

Next was painting them and then again letting them dry.

Next I made a stencil out of vinyl and started to paint. I had to go back on each of them and do some touch up work, but I loved how they turned out!

Next I sanded the edges and roughed them up all over.
This baby chick board had the slats alternating.
I also did this bunny board. This had the slats all going the same direction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Property of Renee Clark