Wednesday, October 9, 2013

How to: Uniform Names


It is that time of year again when I get to coach my daughter's little soccer team! I put the names on the backs of the shirts like I did last year.


Here is the iron on vinyl I use. I order it through Sign Warehouse. On one side it has a shiny film, and the other is flat. In my machine (a Silhouette Cameo) I put the shiny side down and cut the image in REVERSE... yes I have made mistakes before with that! :)


Then you peel the excess off and pick out the inside of the letters. Now the clear area is sticky but the letters are not- opposite of vinyl.


Put cardboard between the shirt layers. If you don't, you may have a problem of sticking the shirt to itself. Trust me! :)


Next lay the wording out on the shirt.


Cover with parchment paper.


Press down with the iron for about 10 seconds and then more to cover the entire word. Make sure not to push across the image because it can smear it. Iron on a pretty warm setting. I started on cotton and turned it down to the next setting because it was a tad too hot for this fabric. Also, be sure to stay off the number underneath. It could discolor it. I didn't have this problem with the last ones I did, but with these I did. Go figure!


Remove the parchment paper and peel back while it is still hot. Peel slowly, if the letters start to come up, iron down again until it peels easily.


Place the parchment paper back on top and iron again quickly to set it well on the shirt.


And there you have it. With this color, I did have a little discoloring happen through the white vinyl of the blue shirt. The last shirts I did I did not have that problem. Look here for those.


Go little mermaids!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Property of Renee Clark